Anyone who follows the releases of the latest high-tech news, especially smartphones, as well as anyone who likes to repair their own products, is no doubt familiar with the famous site that helps you repair your products. devices: ifixit.com!
Especially known on the English side, we often hear about this site for their note that they give to the latest smartphones released, note that lets you know whether it is easy or not to disassemble and therefore to repair yourself! But iFixit doesn't just give notes, it also provides you with free guides! And it's not these that are missing: as I write, there are more than 2000 repair guides for Mac, almost 3000 guides for phones, almost 600 for game consoles, 1500 for pc and many others for cars, cameras digital, ipod, ipad, etc…
In addition to the guides, they can provide you with the necessary equipment to disassemble it all easily.
And one of the stuff I'm going to test is a set, the Pro Tech Toolkit from iFixit
The contents of the iFixit kit
This one is specially dedicated to smartphones, pc and small electronic devices and consists of 70 tools:
- a kit of (unscrewing) 54 different tips
- 2 pairs of plastic tools to make it easier to unclips
- 1 set of antistatic precision tongs
- 1 cutter
- 1 antistatic bracelet
- 1 suction cup
- 1 spudger (unknown translation)
- 1 set of spudger metal
- 1 metal measurement and conversion rule
- The nylon pouch that brings it all together
– The nylon pouch is very strong and thick enough, not only will it protect your tools well enough, but it also looks strong enough to support the tools, because it must be said what is, it is rare that the pouches hold the blows against this kind of tool s sharp, this usually leaves traces. Well sewn, I did not notice any threads sticking or breaking. In addition, this pouch wraps to compact everything, the closure is done thanks to a strip of scratch.
– The rule of measurement is made of metal and measures just over 15 cm or 6 inches. At the back has a fraction of an inch conversion table into decimals and millimetres.
– For the "spudger", I have not found a translation into French and would seem that there are none, but basically, they are tools intended for electronics to sting, scratch, leverage, tip over, open and placement cables.
– The suction cup is intended to gently lift the screen slabs, in this case, given its size, it is mainly for the screens of smartphones.
– The antistatic bracelet is all that is classic to protect you from the electrostatic energy, blue color (which is the color of iFixit). In elastic materials, the bracelet can be tightened and the cable is extendable to about 1m.
– The cutter is nothing special, entirely metal and a lot of recharging.
– The antistatic precision clamps are 3: 2 straight with sharp ends, and 1 curved with sharp ends
– 2 pairs of plastic tools for unclipsing, you have a pair of small and a pair of large ones. They serve to facilitate the opening of the clipped elements without breaking the famous clips (which often happens!), very useful! Also serves to eclipse the mini-connectors, I think especially those of laptops.
– For the 54-tip screwdriver kit, this one includes the following tips
- Pentalobe sizes 2, 5, 6 (iPhone, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro)
- Flathead sizes 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4 mm
- Phillips sizes #000, #00, #0, #1, #2
- JIS sizes 000, 00, 0, 1
- Torx sizes T3, T4, T5, T6
- Torx Security TR7, TR8, TR9, TR10, TR15, TR20 (compatible with non-security)
- Hex sizes 0.7, 0.9, 1.3, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 6 mm
- Square sizes #0, #1, #2
- Triangle size 3 mm
- Tri-wing sizes #0, #1
- Nut Driver sizes 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 5 mm
Not to mention the magnet, the SIM card tip and the standard tool adapter 1/4'.
In pictures, it's to the limit more telling:
The end of the handle where the tips fit is magnetized, so no risk of losing the tip and the screws also attach to it! you also have some kind of flexible extension allowing you to reach some hard access nooks.
And without a doubt that these are precision tools, some tips are so small that you wonder how they could mold it without worries … just like what is the idiot who invented screws like this?!
All the tools (except the tips) are engraved in the name of the brand and a slogan "Repair is noble", which I fully adhere to! It's both eco-friendly, economical and always a challenge! The tips, on the other hand, have their name engraved, which allows you a better storage by knowing what type is each tip, and if you ever lose one by the most unfortunate of chance, you will still know the type of tip lost because it will be missing on the supp tip ort that also contains the name of the type of tip!
Whether you are professional or amateur (confirmed or not), this kit should satisfy you for your dismantling setups and reassemblies of electronic devices! In short, ultra complete, and pretty solid!
And although some reviews on Amazon say that the products would have traces of wear, I did not notice any, everything was well packaged and perfectly new.
Product link: http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B007XGWQ2Y
Note: In the kit, you can find a bonus bonus of a $5 coupon on your next purchase! ;-)
You can also find the kit of 54 tools to unscrew: http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B008KOTNVA